
Irish Football Association Chief Executive Patrick Nelson has welcomed news that the UK is set to host the FIFA Women’s World Cup in 2035.
FIFA President Gianni Infantino revealed a UK expression of interest to stage the global tournament 10 years from now is the “sole valid bid”.
England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland submitted the joint expression of interest to hold the Women’s World Cup across the home nations last month.
Reacting to the FIFA President’s statement, Patrick Nelson said: “It is great news that the home nations are the sole bidder for the FIFA Women’s World Cup 2035.
“We look forward to hosting games at the tournament and playing our part in what I have no doubt will be a fantastic tournament.
“There’s still a lot of hard work to be done along with our partners in bringing it all together, however this will be a brilliant opportunity to show the world what Northern Ireland and Belfast have to offer.”
Under FIFA rotation rules, the 2035 tournament must be in Europe or Africa.
Spain's federation president Rafael Louzan said last week that they were "working on" a joint bid alongside Portugal and Morocco.
However, the deadline for expressions of interest passed on Monday and Infantino revealed the UK's bid is the only one received for 2035. The United States is set to host the 2031 edition.
"Today I can confirm as part of the bidding process that we received one bid for 2031 and one valid bid for 2035," Infantino said at a UEFA Congress in Belgrade.
He revealed: "The 2031 bid is the United States of America and potentially some other Concacaf members and the 2035 bid is from Europe and the home nations.
"So the path is there for the Women's World Cup in 2031 and 2035 to take place in some great nations and further boost the women's football movement."
Irish FA President Conrad Kirkwood said: “We have seen a real growth in women’s football in recent times. Developments like our new women’s and girls’ strategy merely reinforces this. To be in a position to bring the pinnacle of women’s football, along with our partners across the home nations, to these shores is something to be heralded.”
The Irish FA’s Director of Women’s Football, Angela Platt, said: “What a time for women’s football in our country. This news will inspire even more young girls and boys to get involved in the game.
“Coupled with the fact that our new women’s and girls’ strategy, Together We Thrive: Elevating the Game for Everyone, is now in place to plot a course for everyone to progress through the game, there is a real sense of momentum that spells good news for all parts of our pathway.”
Northern Ireland senior women’s team manager Tanya Oxtoby said: “From my own perspective, as someone who has managed and played at elite level, co-hosting the World Cup represents the apex of our game. I’m excited at the prospect of what Northern Ireland can bring to the tournament both on and off the pitch.”