Skip Navigation



Release Date: 01/09/2012

The Northern Ireland Regions Cup team took another step towards qualification for the Intermediary Round today with a 2-1 victory over celtic rivals Wales.

The Northern Ireland Regions Cup team took another step towards qualification for the Intermediary Round today with a 2-1 victory over celtic rivals Wales.

As in the previous games, both teams had to compete with each other and the very hot and humid conditions. However, it was Harry McConkey’s boys in green that won both battles and deservedly obtained another 3 points.

As against Hestrafors on Thursday, the Eastern Region set their stall out from the first whistle, consistently winning challenges, showing their hunger for goals and demonstrating their superior fitness to their Welsh opponents.

The first opportunity arrived in the 5th minute when Coagh United’s Marcus Dallas aimed his shot on goal only for the Welsh goalkeeper to deny him. This was followed shortly by a cross from Newry City’s Timmy Grant, but again the final effort from Ryan Moffatt was shot straight at the keeper.

In the 13th minute, good footwork on the left hand side from Jeff Brady resulted in a great pass through to Ryan Moffatt who watched his tremendous effort go just over the bar.Two minutes later Ryan Moffatt tried a chip over the keeper, however his accuracy on this occasion let him down.

Strong performances from midfielder Jonathan Montgomery and defender James Cully left the Welsh chasing their tails.   Montgomery in particular seemed full of energy.

The opening goal came in the 27th minute, beginning with an incisive pass through on goal from Marcus Dallas with David Wright taking full advantage as he converted into the net.

Northern Ireland really were flying at this stage. A confident run into the penalty area from Scott McMillan almost increased the lead right away. His shot towards the top left hand corner of the goal just inching wide. However, the Eastern Region’s failure to convert their chances and complacency lead to a Welsh equaliser in the 40th minute.   The Welsh forward hit a great shot into the bottom right hand corner of the net leaving Warrenpoint Town’s Johnaton Parr no chance.

Credit to Northern Ireland, their heads did not go down and straight away David Wright ventured into the box and was fouled, resulting in a clear penalty kick.   Ryan Moffatt was coolness personified as he made it 2-1 from the spot, sending the keeper the wrong way.

Half time: Eastern Region 2-1 North Wales

The Eastern Region had an early scare in the 3rd minute of the second half when Wales shot over the bar from inside the penalty area, when they really should have done better. Three minutes later Paul Maguire hit another shot straight at the keeper.

Northern Ireland continued the second half in the same vein, taking the initiative and trying to cement all three points.   However, that third goal eluded them.

The main chances coming first in the 82nd minute through Paul Maguire again (failing to capitalise on a bad defensive error from the goal keeper) and substitute Ryan Newberry who hit a free kick just outside the box only to see it easily saved by the Welsh goalkeeper.

Harry’s boys did however hold on for the three points.  

Full time: Eastern Region 2 v 1 North Wales

Northern Ireland Manager Harry McConkey commented after the game “ This was another very pleasing performance. What has impressed me greatly about this bunch of players is that they are hungry to learn and have carried out our game plans to the letter. Today Wales struggled to cope with our free flowing football and creativity, however the 2-1 in no way reflects this game, I was pleased with both Marcus Dallas and David Wright in making the first goal. While Wales's equaliser was a great strike, it was truly against the run of play. However, we didn’t panic and continued with the game, earning a penalty just before half time through excellent play.Our attention will now be on our final game on Monday against hosts Macedonia.   We deserve to be in the position we are in.

The lads visited the match venue for Monday’s game at Mladost, Strumica today and were really impressed with the arena.   They are excited and hungry about the final group game and hopefully they will get their rewards for their efforts and commitment this week.  I am very proud of them.”


1. Johnaton Parr Warrenpoint Town FC

3. Jeff Brady Loughgall FC

5. James Cully Ards FC (Captain)

6. John Boyle Warrenpoint Town FC

7. Scott McMillan H&W Welders FC

8. Jonathan Montgomery Knockbreda FC

16. David Wright Dundela FC

10. Paul Maguire Larne FC

11. Timothy Grant Newry City FC

13. Ryan Moffatt Ards FC

17. Marcus Dallas Coagh United FC

Substitutions made:

45th minute: Timmy Grant replaced by number 15 Ryan Newberry (Glentoran II FC)

65th minute: Jeff Brady replaced by number 14 William Armstrong (H&W Welders FC)

77th minute: Scott McMillan replaced by number 2 Gareth Beattie (Bangor FC)

Yellow cards: John Boyle

Other result today in group: South East Macedonia 7-0 Hestrafors

                       Current group table

                                            P W D L F A GD PTS

1. South East Macedonia 2 2 0 0 8 0 8 6

2. Eastern Region 2 2 0 0 4 1 3 6

3. North Wales 2 0 0 2 1 3 -2 0

4. Hestrafors 2 0 0 2 0 9 -9 0


Northern Ireland’s next game is against South East Macedonia, Monday 3 September 2012, 4pm, Mladost, Strumica.


« Go Back

  • Regions Cup Squad 2012

    Regions Cup Squad 2012

    Pic: Gary Hancock

  • David Wright (Dundela FC)

    David Wright

    Pic: Gary Hancock

  • Regions Cup 2012

    Ryan Moffatt

    Pic: Gary Hancock

  • Harry McConkey

    Regions Cup Squad Manager: Harry McConkey

    Pic: Gary Hancock

Enter your NI Fans username and password to sign-in.

Forgotten your password?